Sunday, November 27, 2011

Valse des Poêles (100th Tune!)

Today I learned a beautiful waltz written by Simon Riopel, a quebecois fiddler.
 I actually learned it off a Genticorum album, and thought it might have been written by their fiddler, but after some internet investigation I found that Simon wrote this tune after spending a day moving stoves (poêles) and had sore hands.  Why would someone write a tune on the fiddle when his or her hands are too sore to move?  I think it must have something to do with that Canadian toughness, non?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, congrats on the 100th tune - and good choice to commemorate it!

    You may already be aware of this, but Pascal from GTC has a blog with some trad quebec tunes: http://tradquebec.over-blog.com/. You have to bit of digging through the archives, but most of the tune posts have an mp3 file. It also hasn't been updated in a while, but it doesn't make the tunes any less worthy of checking out. :)

    Keep it up. It makes me long for more time to fiddle and tackle new tunes. Definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen his blog before but didn't spend enough time browsing through. I'll check it out! I've got about 1 more week of insanity at school and then I'll be able to spend a lot more time exploring tunes. Thanks for the suggestion.

    The time thing is a big deal for me as well. I wish I had a few more hours a day, or a wealthy sponsor that would allow me to quit job/school and play music all day!

    ReplyDelete