Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Crooked Road

I just joined an online community of Irish trad musicians called TradConnect.  One member suggested the other day that I learn this tune, so I did.  He actually gave me a link of Ronan Browne and Peter O'Laughlin playing it with the reel "The Morning Thrush," which I think I'll learn pretty soon, too.  It's been nice meeting and socializing with other trad musicians since starting this project.  I started it for my own personal development but it really has been a great way to meet other people from all over the world.  If you're a trad enthusiast, consider joining TradConnect, too!



So the recording off of which I learned this reel is beautiful uilleann pipes, and although the tune is in G major, he keeps a D drone going throughout the whole thing.  I love the tension that the dominant drone gives it... makes it seem somewhat unresolved or almost modal.  So I tuned my fiddle's lowest string down to a D to imitate that same thing.  The fiddle is tuned DDAE.



I promise I will learn something un-Irish, or at least a non-reel tomorrow.  I've been on a reel kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment